Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Choose your Own Autobiography

Alright so since we last left off, I have been... Dealing with  a few things. The acting purgatory that is TV movies is finally ending, and I landed myself a lead role in a Broadway show. The show is a play called "Proof" the experience is an absolute breeze outside of my costar Anne Heche. Anne is a perfectly nice person, but her approach to acting is a little on the crazy side. By a little I mean she never does anything consistently even during actual performances, leaving me hopelessly awaiting her next crazy addition to her character. Everything from speaking in a high pitched squeal to appearing in the front of the audience is "explored" by Anne. Making the show a beautiful nightmare. After that  I decide to continue performing in stage shows while hopelessly trying to jump start my movie career. Countless failed rehearsals with all the same feed back: "Too Doogie!". Years and years of those two words until finally I land myself a supporting role in the sure to be hit "Star ship Troopers" ! The movie is filled with big stars the most notable of which is Madonna, who has a larger makeup team then the rest of the cast combined. She's always polite, but I never get a chance to meet her because she is constantly being crowded by everyone and everything. After re-writes and re-shoots clog my schedule, my faith in this production begins to dwindle. Rightfully so, it flops everywhere and goes down in infamy as a textbook example of sifi done horribly wrong. That's when it all happens, when my life changed forever. That's the beginning of how I met "How i Met Your Mother."

1. (Question 1) The main character is driven by nothing more than his appreciation and love of acting. It seems that whenever he puts conscious thought into accomplishing something it doesn't get accomplished. All of his major breakout roles or achievements happened by accident. At his summer camp he met a tony winning writer who just happened to be adapting a film. When he became Doogie his parents favorite man in television just happened to be writing a show about a young doctor who was our protagonist's exact age. These major life changes were circumstances more than choices. Neil Patrick Harris is extremely lucky.

2. (Question 9) I found it interesting that Neil would talk about every production he's been a part of in great detail. However in the period of his life when he was in TV movies he simply wrote a paragraph explaining very generally the TV movies as a whole. I understand there are probably too many to list, but I also find it hard to believe that in all those projects he doesn't have a single story worth putting in his book. Perhaps there is a sense of resentment towards the genre due to his time performing in them.              

1 comment:

  1. Autobiographies or biographies in general never really spark my interest, but the character/ writer of this, being Neil Patrick Harris, caught my eye since he is an actor I personally know of. His story seems interesting, and it's inspiring to see that he had a dream of becoming famous one day, and he achieved it.

    ReplyDelete